Digital and media literacy education can be taught at all levels, on its own or embedded in other subjects such as English, Social Studies, Health or Language Arts. The Media Education Lab offers teacher education programs and workshops, as well as an online library of media literacy curriculum materials. Publications demonstrate how knowledge, skills and competencies develop through a variety of instructional methods that include both face-to-face and online learning.
Teaching Media Literacy
Join us on Monday, February 3 at 9 AM EST for a free online book club discussion with the Media Education Lab!
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Explore the crowdsourced gallery of over 2,500 examples from around the world
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students understand how copyright and fair use supports digital learning
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R., Broder, S., Pope, H. & Rowe, J...(2006,January).How Adolescent Girls Interpret Weight-Loss Advertising Health Education Research,719-730.
- Primack B.A., Gold M.A., Switzer G.E., Hobbs R., Land S.R., & Fine M.J...(2006,January).Development and Validation of a Smoking Media Literacy Scale Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine,369-374.
- Primack, B.A., Hobbs, R., Switzer, G.E., Land, S., Fine, M.F. & Gold, M...(2006,January).Associations Between Media Literacy and Adolescent Smoking Journal of Adolescent Health,93-94.
- Hobbs, R...(2006,January).Non-Optimal Uses of Video in the Classroom Learning, Media and Technology,45-50.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2005,January).The State of Media Literacy Education Journal of Communication ,p. 865-871.
- Hobbs, R...(2005,January).Strengthening Media Education in the Twenty-first Century: Opportunities for the State of Pennsylvania Arts Education Policy Review,13-45.
- Hobbs, R...(2005,).What's News? Educational Leadership ,71-76.