Digital and media literacy education can be taught at all levels, on its own or embedded in other subjects such as English, Social Studies, Health or Language Arts. The Media Education Lab offers teacher education programs and workshops, as well as an online library of media literacy curriculum materials. Publications demonstrate how knowledge, skills and competencies develop through a variety of instructional methods that include both face-to-face and online learning.
Teaching Media Literacy
Join us on Monday, February 3 at 9 AM EST for a free online book club discussion with the Media Education Lab!
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Explore the crowdsourced gallery of over 2,500 examples from around the world
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students understand how copyright and fair use supports digital learning
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs..(2017,).Create to Learn ,
- Tuzel, S. & Hobbs, R..(2017,).The Use of Social Media and Popular Culture to Advance Cross-Cultural Understanding Communicar,63 - 72.
- Renee Hobbs, Maria Ranieri, Sandra Markus, Carolyn Fortuna, Mia Zamora & Julie Coiro..(2017,).Digital Literacy in Higher Education: A Report Providence RI: Media Education Lab..
- Renee Hobbs & Julie Coiro..(2016,May).Everyone Learns From Everyone: Collaborative and Interdisciplinary Professional Development in Digital Literacy Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy,623 - 629.
- Renee Hobbs..(2016,March).Lessons in copyright activism: K-12 education and the DMCA 1201 exemption rulemaking process. International Journal of Information and Communication Technology Education,5- 63.
- Renee Hobbs and David Cooper Moore..(2016,).Learning Targets, Digital and Media Literacy Competencies, K-6 Media Education Lab.
- Renee Hobbs (Ed)..(2016,).Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative Temple University Press,Philadelphia
- Hans Martens & Renee Hobbs..(2015,).How Media Literacy Supports Civic Engagement in a Digital Age Atlantic Journal of Communication,120 - 137.
- Renee Hobbs & Silke Grafe..(2015,).YouTube Pranking Across Cultures First Monday,1 - 15.