Advertising, news and entertainment deliver a lot of complex and competing messages about nutrition, exercise, smoking and substance abuse, and medicine and health. Children and young people benefit from opportunities to critically analyze alcohol and tobacco advertisements. The Media Education Lab has developed pioneering curriculum resources for health teachers, helping them intregrate media literacy concepts into wellness education.
Media and Health
Join us on Monday, February 3 at 9 AM EST for a free online book club discussion with the Media Education Lab!
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Explore the crowdsourced gallery of over 2,500 examples from around the world
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students understand how copyright and fair use supports digital learning
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R...(2004,January).Media Literacy, General Semantics, and K-12 Education ETC: A Review of General Semantics,24-28.
- Hobbs, R...(2004,January).Analyzing Advertising in the English Language Arts Classroom: A Quasi-Experimental Study. SIMILE: Studies in Media & Information Literacy Education,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2004,).Literacy in the Information Age (Translation) Journal of Faculty of Educational Sciences, 122-140.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2004,).Review of "The Real Thing: Doing Philosophy with Media" by Christina Slade Communication Education ,p. 307-308. .
- Hobbs, R. and Frost, R...(2003,January). Measuring the Acquisition of Media Literacy Skills Reading Research Quarterly,330-354.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,January).Classroom Strategies for Exploring Realism and Authenticity in Media Messages Reading Online,.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,January). Media Literacy Skills: Interpreting Tragedy Social Education , 406-411.
- ..(2001,January).Improving Reading Comprehension by Using Media Literacy Activities Voices from the Middle ,44 - 50.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,).The Great Media Literacy Debates in 2001 Community Media Review,17-23.
- Hobbs, R...(2000,October).Literacy for the Information Age Classroom Leadership,4 – 6.
- Hobbs, R...(2000,).Research in Media Literacy Telemedium: The Journal of Media Literacy ,8 -11.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,February).Teaching the Humanities in a Media Age Educational Leadership, 56-62.