Advertising, news and entertainment deliver a lot of complex and competing messages about nutrition, exercise, smoking and substance abuse, and medicine and health. Children and young people benefit from opportunities to critically analyze alcohol and tobacco advertisements. The Media Education Lab has developed pioneering curriculum resources for health teachers, helping them intregrate media literacy concepts into wellness education.
Media and Health
Join us on Monday, February 3 at 9 AM EST for a free online book club discussion with the Media Education Lab!
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Explore the crowdsourced gallery of over 2,500 examples from around the world
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students understand how copyright and fair use supports digital learning
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R., Broder, S., Pope, H. & Rowe, J...(2006,January).How Adolescent Girls Interpret Weight-Loss Advertising Health Education Research,719-730.
- Primack B.A., Gold M.A., Switzer G.E., Hobbs R., Land S.R., & Fine M.J...(2006,January).Development and Validation of a Smoking Media Literacy Scale Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine,369-374.
- Primack, B.A., Hobbs, R., Switzer, G.E., Land, S., Fine, M.F. & Gold, M...(2006,January).Associations Between Media Literacy and Adolescent Smoking Journal of Adolescent Health,93-94.
- Hobbs, R...(2006,January).Non-Optimal Uses of Video in the Classroom Learning, Media and Technology,45-50.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2005,January).The State of Media Literacy Education Journal of Communication ,p. 865-871.
- Hobbs, R...(2005,January).Strengthening Media Education in the Twenty-first Century: Opportunities for the State of Pennsylvania Arts Education Policy Review,13-45.
- Hobbs, R...(2005,).What's News? Educational Leadership ,71-76.