Freedom of expression and social responsibility are key dimensions of citizenship. Democracies rely on people who are capable of self-governance and who are not merely spectators of a political sideshow. Media literacy education helps students become critical thinkers, encouraging them to become skeptical about political messages without becoming cynical about them. By constructing media messages, working collaboratively and participating in meaningful dialogue about social and political issues, students develop the ability to advocate for themselves and their communities, activating real citizenship skills.
Media, Youth and Civic Engagement
Join us on Monday, February 3 at 9 AM EST for a free online book club discussion with the Media Education Lab!
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Explore the crowdsourced gallery of over 2,500 examples from around the world
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students understand how copyright and fair use supports digital learning
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs..(2016,May).When teens create the news: Examining the impact of PBS News Hour Student Reporting Labs Journalism Education,61-73.
- University of Rhode Island..(2014,February).Graduate Certificate in Digital Literacy University of Rhode Island.
- Hobbs, R. & Donnelly, K. Friesem, J. & Moen, M. ..(2013,August).Evaluation of PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs University of Rhode Island.
- Renee Hobbs, Nuala Cabral, Aggie Ebrahimi, Jiwon Yoon & Rawia Al-Humaidan ..(2011,June).Field-Based Teacher Education in Elementary Media Literacy as a Means to Promote Global Understanding Action in Teacher Education,144 - 156.
- Kelly Mendoza..(2007,). How do Girls Experience an Online Game for Media Literacy?: A Research Proposal .
- Kelly Mendoza, K., Pereira, T. Xu, W., & Yoon, J...(2007,).Seeing through the Blog: A Case Study of the Scarsdale Current Events Blog .
- Kelly Mendoza..(2007,).Connecting the Literature on Girls and the Internet to Evaluation Ideas for My Pop Studio .
- Henry Cohn-Geltner..(2007,).An examination of the impact of media literacy programs on reengaging high school dropouts in the academic process .
- Jiwon Yoon..(2007,).Media Education: Benefits for Students and Teachers at Alternative High Schools .
- Renee Hobbs, Paul Folkemer & Katie Donnelly..(2007,).Teens Blog the News .