Media Education Lab researchers developed pioneering "gold standard" measures of the media literacy competencies of adolescent learners, looking at their ability to analyze news and advertising. Media literacy learning outcomes can be measured through qualititative and quantitative research. By creative approaches to observing, documenting, assessing and measuring student learning, the Media Education Lab improves the quality of media literacy education.
Measuring Media Literacy
Join us on Monday, February 3 at 9 AM EST for a free online book club discussion with the Media Education Lab!
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Explore the crowdsourced gallery of over 2,500 examples from around the world
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students understand how copyright and fair use supports digital learning
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R...(1999,January).Deciding What to Believe in an Age of Information Abundance ,11-27.
- Hobbs, R. & Frost, R...(1999,January).Instructional Practices in Media Literacy Education and Their Impact on Students' Learning New Jersey Journal of Communication,123-148.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,).People From Many Walks of Life Enrich The Media Literacy Movement The Journal of Media Literacy , 17-19.
- Hobbs, R...(1998,January).Teaching With and About Film and Television Journal of Management Development,9-29.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1998,January). The Simpsons Meet Mark Twain: Analyzing Popular Media Texts in the Classroom English Journal,49-53.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1996,January). Teaching Media Literacy Children and the media (Reprint of Media Studies Journal article, 1994).,103-111.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1994,January). The Billerica Initiative Brings Media Literacy to Middle School Community Media Review,.
- Hobbs, R. & Folkemer, P..(1994,January).A New Lens on Channel One Education Week ,37.
- Hobbs, R...(1994,January).Teaching Media Literacy - Yo! Are You Hip To This? Media Studies Journal,135-145.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1994,).The Billerica Initiative Telemedium: The Journal of Media Literacy,34-39.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1993,August).See Dick and Jane Deconstruct: ABC's of Teaching Media Literacy The Independent,25-30.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1993,November).Channel One: Schulfernseshen zwischen innovation und kommerz (The Promise and Peril of Channel One) Bertelsmann Briefe,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1992,).Teaching the Media Journal of Communication,p. 180-184.
- Hobbs, R...(1991,February). Notes of a No TV survivor Boston Globe,Feb 18: C1.