Today, children and teens are swimming in a sea of media choices, but may have few opportunities to engaged in meaningful dialogue about how media are created and how they affect our personal and social identities. We created My Pop Studio to help tween and teen girls explore issues of body image, sexuality and celebrity identification. Because media functions as agents of socialization, kids need opportunities to discuss and reflect on the values, messages and meanings conveyed through popular culture entertainment.
Girls and Media Culture
Join us on Monday, February 3 at 9 AM EST for a free online book club discussion with the Media Education Lab!
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Explore the crowdsourced gallery of over 2,500 examples from around the world
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students understand how copyright and fair use supports digital learning
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R...(2004,January).Media Literacy, General Semantics, and K-12 Education ETC: A Review of General Semantics,24-28.
- Hobbs, R...(2004,January).Analyzing Advertising in the English Language Arts Classroom: A Quasi-Experimental Study. SIMILE: Studies in Media & Information Literacy Education,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2004,).Literacy in the Information Age (Translation) Journal of Faculty of Educational Sciences, 122-140.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2004,).Review of "The Real Thing: Doing Philosophy with Media" by Christina Slade Communication Education ,p. 307-308. .
- Hobbs, R. and Frost, R...(2003,January). Measuring the Acquisition of Media Literacy Skills Reading Research Quarterly,330-354.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,January).Classroom Strategies for Exploring Realism and Authenticity in Media Messages Reading Online,.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,January). Media Literacy Skills: Interpreting Tragedy Social Education , 406-411.
- ..(2001,January).Improving Reading Comprehension by Using Media Literacy Activities Voices from the Middle ,44 - 50.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,).The Great Media Literacy Debates in 2001 Community Media Review,17-23.
- Hobbs, R...(2000,October).Literacy for the Information Age Classroom Leadership,4 – 6.
- Hobbs, R...(2000,).Research in Media Literacy Telemedium: The Journal of Media Literacy ,8 -11.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,February).Teaching the Humanities in a Media Age Educational Leadership, 56-62.