We like to have fun -- and talking about media is fun! We pioneered the development of an online game for media literacy with the development of My Pop Studio. Today, we explore digital media tools that combine play and learning in immersive, participatory environments.The Media Education Lab explores low-tech play with cards and paper manipulables, too. We value how online multimedia interactives can support the development of critical thinking, collaboration, creativity and communication skills,
Games for Online Learning
Join us on Monday, February 3 at 9 AM EST for a free online book club discussion with the Media Education Lab!
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Explore the crowdsourced gallery of over 2,500 examples from around the world
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students understand how copyright and fair use supports digital learning
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R., Cipollone, M., Bailin, E., Moore, D.C. & Schlesinger, M...(2011,June).Young Audiences and New Authors in a Multimedia Landscape Media Education Lab.
- Moore, D.C. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,May).A Review of Admongo.gov Journal of Children and Media,221-224.
- Cappello, G., Felini, D. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,December).Reflections on Global Development in Media Literacy Education: Bridging Theory and Practice Journal of Media Literacy Education,66 - 73.
- Hobbs, Renee..(2011,December).The State of Media Literacy: A Rejoinder Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,601 - 604.
- Hobbs, R. & Donnelly, K.E. ..(2011,November).Towards a Pedagogy of Fair Use for Multimedia Composition In M.C. Rife, S. Slattery & D.N. Devoss (Eds.), Copy(write): Intellectual Property in the Writing Classroom. West Layfayette, IN: Parlor Press (pp. 275 - 294). ,.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,November).Digital and Media Literacy: The Pleasures and Perils of Online Pranking ASCA School Counselor,31 - 35.
- Bailin, E...(2011,January).Learning about Flash Mobs Helps Children Develop News Literacy Skills Spot.Us,.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,).What A Difference 10 Years Can Make: Research Possibilities for the Future of Media Literacy Education Journal of Media Literacy Education,29 - 31.
- Bailin, E...(2010,September).Copyright and Fair Use for Digital Learning Teacher Education Initiative 2010 Media Education Lab.
- Hobbs. R...(2010,September).Empowerment and protection: Complementary strategies for digital and media literacy education in the United States. Formare,1 - 17.
- Hobbs R...(2010,August).News Literacy: What Works and What Doesn't Paper presentation at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication conference, Denver CO,.
- ..(2010,June).Media Education Lab 2010 End-of-Year Report Media Education Lab.
- Spiller, K and Hobbs, R...(2010,October).Talking About Fashion's Fat Girls: Relational Aggression in Online Communities Paper presented at the Reimagining Girlhood conference, SUNY Cortland,.
- Hobbs, R...(2009,September).The Power of Fair Use For Media Literacy Education Afterimage,15 -18.