The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education puts an end to copyright confusion! Check out our case study videos, Schoolhouse-Rock style music videos, as well as our readings, activities and lesson plans for high school and college students to learn about copyright and fair use as they apply to teaching and learning with digital media, mass media and popular culture. As copyright advocates, we have used the DMCA exemption process to help ensure that K-12 teachers and students can maintain their fair use of film DVDs.
Copyright and Fair Use
Join us on Monday, February 3 at 9 AM EST for a free online book club discussion with the Media Education Lab!
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Explore the crowdsourced gallery of over 2,500 examples from around the world
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students understand how copyright and fair use supports digital learning
Research and Scholarship
- Provorova, L. ..(2013,March).A Story of Conflict and Collaboration: Media Literacy, Video Production and Disadvantaged Youth .
- Hobbs, R. Yildiz, F. ..(2013,December).DİJİTAL ÇAĞDA MEDYA OKURYAZARLIĞINI YENİDEN TANIMLAMAK .
- Hobbs, R., Donnelly, K., Friesem, J. & Moen, M...(2013,November).Learning to engage: how positive attitudes about the news, media literacy, and video production contribute t Educational Media International,.
- Hobbs, R...(2013,).Improvization and Strategic Risk Taking in Informal Learning with Digital Media Literacy Learning, Media and Technology 38,182 - 197.
- Friesem, J., Greene, K., Provorova, L., Tierney, T. & Hobbs, R...(2012,September).First Star URI RAM Academy Kingston, RI: Media Education Lab.,.
- Babad, E., Peer, A., & Hobbs, R...(2012,April).Media literacy and media bias: Are media literacy students less susceptible to non-verbal judgment biases? Psychology of Popular Media Culture,97 - 107.
- Hobbs, R. & RobbGrieco, M...(2012,November).African-American Children's Active Reasoning about Media Texts as a Precursor to Media Literacy in the United States Journal of Children and Media,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2011,September).The State of Media Literacy: A Response to Potter Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,419 - 430.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,September).Promoting Intellectual Curiosity with Digital and Media Literacy School Library Journal, September 6,.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,September).It's All in the Family: Keynote Address to the International Association for Visual Literacy .
- Hobbs, R., Yoon, J. & Al-Humaidan, R. Ebrahimi, A., Cabral, N., ..(2011,August).Online Digital Media in Elementary School Journal of Middle East Media,1 - 23.
- Morris, N., Gilpin, D., Lenos, M. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,July).Interpretations of cigarette advertisement warning labels by Philadelphia Puerto Ricans. Journal of Health Communication,908 - 922.
- Moore, D.C...(2011,June).Asking Questions First: Navigating Popular Culture and Transgression in an Inquiry Based Media Literacy Classroom Action in Teacher Education,219 - 230.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,June).Connecting Kids with News in their Community Nieman Reports,48-52.